A successful print advertisement will grab and hold someone’s attention long enough for them to understand what your ad is about. You want to create instant appeal so that your audience will want to read on. Design is important- but an ad is much more than graphics. There are strategies, tips and tricks that can help boost your ads effectiveness.
Aside from ensuring your ad contains important elements like your logo, call-to-action, and contact information- your ad should also:
- Be easy to read. Don’t use too many fonts or extra small text. Don’t fill up your page with too much information! Drive people to your website or social media platforms to learn more.
- Know what you want your ad to say. What are your objectives? Why are you running the ad?
- Use negative space wisely and ensure that the most important information is highlighted with a larger text, different font or different colour. Make sure your core message stands out.
- Be correct. Ensure your ad is free of spelling errors, grammar mistakes and that your contact information is correct.
- Have a unique selling position- why should someone purchase your product or use your service over your competitor?
- If you are offering a promotion make sure you set an expiry date. Create a sense of urgency!
- Stay on brand. Be recognizable.
Have you heard of the “Advertising Rule of Seven”? According to marketing expert Dr. Jeffrey Lant– “To penetrate the buyer’s consciousness and make significant penetration in a given market, you have to contact the prospect a minimum of seven times within an 18-month period.”
Above all- be sure that you understand your target market. Make sure that your ad is speaking their language, that the esthetics speaks to them and that the avenue you choose to deliver your ad in makes sense. Put your ad where they will see it- doing your research before placing your ad is important.
Whatever you do, don’t forget a call-to-action because you want to be able to measure your ad efforts. ROI! ROI! Always do your best to measure your efforts ESPECIALLY as a start up. You need to make sure your investments make sense. Use your insights and analytics to track visitors during your campaign.
Have fun and we will say it again…. stay on brand!